LIBRARYThe library is open for everyone. Books can be read in-house or borrowed for use outside the library. The loan period is one month. Documents from the reading room, rare and particularly valuable items cannot be borrowed for use outside the library.
The task of the National Heritage Board library is to help the Board’s employees in their daily work, as well as everyone interested in heritage conservation issues to find required information.
The library contains about 14,500 documents.
The library contains mainly documents on the following topics:
- conservation of cultural monuments
- history of Estonian architecture and art
- Estonian history and home research
- general and specialized reference books, dictionaries, lexicons
The National Heritage Board library has stemmed from the libraries of the Scientific Restoration Workshop and the Scientific-Methodological Board of Museums and Cultural Monuments. The Scientific Restoration Workshop library was founded in 1955 as an initiative of the art historians Helmi Üprus and Marta Männisalu. In 1963, the architecture historian Jevgeni Kaljundi became in charge of the collection. As separate sub-funds, the libraries of Helmi Üprus (since 1987) and Anton Soans (since 1990) are part of the collection. The Scientific-Methodological Board of Museums and Cultural Monuments was founded in 1976. In 1994, both libraries were transferred to the National Heritage Board of Estonia, founded in 1993.
VISIT US!2nd Pikk Street, Tallinn
Open hours: Tue, Wed, Thu 9.00 - 15.00
Head of Library: Marju Raabe
Phone +372 640 3015